Sunday, January 16, 2011

Lights, Lights, and more Lights...

I've been on a non-stop Kanye West kick. Whenever I say that people are like "He's an arrogant asshole" and I'm like "Yeah he should be, he's like a super genius! Fuck Einstein should have acted like Kanye, in fact he probably did!"...

If you haven't seen his epic, albeit slightly flawed (just the editing really before the end) Runaway movie you need to peep that before we go forward...


So anyway... the Kanye "Lights" songs... I think they're my favourites. No huge surprise right? I mean the blog is called "Neon Lights" right? It's even a topic that I end up having these weird long conversations about with artists (most notably Kenna; some high school students out there have a copy of that interview which I really wish I had). I just think lights change everything about atmosphere, and how you feel... go look at a nightclub during the day when there are no lights and then come back at night... or take a look at Tokyo at day and at night you know? Lights can be full of emotion or icy cold nothingness. So, anyway, this is why these Kanye songs really do it for me..........

The first was the soul baring "Flashing Lights" about him cheating on his girl, getting caught, begging for her back, and realizing he's lost everything (but still hasn't given up his ego).


Here was the non-violent version:


Then we have "Street Lights"... Kanye's accepting where he's at in an album that is full of loss and turmoil (coming to terms with his ego)...


And lastly there's the brilliant new "All Of the Lights" which has like 20 people singing on it... and is the most recent in his series of songs dedicated to the symbolism of lights. He gets a little more specific in this one...

No official video yet but it's pretty obvious this will be a single:


Anyway I think he's done a great job at creating a thematic thread through his last few albums that explain, or expose, his artistic and personal positions. Plus they're all badass songs you want to listen to over and over. Or at least I do.

I want to point out that it's hilarious, one of the only posts on this blog in the last few years was also about Kanye West... but why do I care?!? I run this bitch! Anyway this was just a ramble... I'm trying to get used to writing and I'd rather do it over here at this relatively "virgin" blog than my "baby" ISoA.

I do hope for this blog to get a make over and a team of badass people working on this... and we're getting close! So keep your eyes and ears fixed on this spot and hopefully the next post won't be able Kanye West... again lol...

No comments: